Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Preschool Woes.... Preschool Joys

So, preschool has been a pretty big "to-do" in the Donovan household for many reasons. First, Ella has lived a fairly "sheltered" life the past 3.75 years. She has not been around many kids and has only been watched by immediate family. Therefore, she has had the full attention of the adults watching her and in a sense, had full range of how her day was structured. Second, I really want her to venture out and find her own identity. With her not being around many other children her age during her day to day, she really has no clue what life has to offer her. She only knows what her parents and family teach her. In ways, keeping her sheltered like this is a blessing, but I also want her to be able to see diversity and decide for herself who she is (keeping in mind she is only 3 years old)!

On the other hand, preschool hasn't been the easiest thing for us either! I have gone through the whole grieving process not wanting my baby to become a big girl. Not to mention we have had difficulty deciding where to send her as well. With both of us working full-time, a half-day preschool was not an option as transportation would be impossible. I also didn't want to send her everyday of the week! So, we finally decided on Grace Early Learning Center which is located where we go to church. We figured it would be a familiar place and not so scary for her!

This morning was the BIG day. We had gone out to school the week before to show her her room and with a little confusion she was able to see where she would be going and learned her teacher's name. This morning when I woke her up she was a little leery of the idea. She couldn't understand why it was still dark outside (with this being the first day in 7 weeks we have woken up before the sunrise!). When she found out I was taking Grayson to Nana's before taking her to preschool she had a total meltdown!!! I knew right there it was not going to be a successful preschool day! So, I headed to mom's with Grayson and Ella in tow! There was no way this mommy was dropping off her baby at preschool crying!

So, about 2 hours later, mom called me at school (my first day mind you) saying she was on her way to take Ella to school!! I couldn't believe it and was so proud of her for changing her mind! She was proud too as you can see from her pictures!

As soon as the bell rang this afternoon, I ran out the doors to pick up my BIG GIRL! Ms. Gina said Ella had a terrific day! Other than waking up from nap scared and missing her mommy, she had a total successful first day of preschool! She is even excited to go back on Thursday!! WOO HOO :)


Here is Ella posing in front of her very own cubby!

This is Ella with her teacher Ms. Gina!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

What a big girl for deciding to go later! I bet you were so proud. Hope the next drop off goes smoother for everyone.

Mama Smors said...

That is awesome! I couldn't not drop off a crying girl.... especially on the first day. Poor Mommy! So glad that once she woke up a bit she decided to go back and LIKED it!