Monday, August 15, 2011

Preschool Update

So, in my last post I talked about Ella's first day of Preschool and how we were hoping that her second day would go okay...

Turns out when we woke up Thursday she wanted nothing to do with Preschool! She cried and cried saying that she didn't want to go anymore. Between Tuesday(her first day) and Thursday I had tried to pry as much information as I could from her about her first day and she seemed to like it overall minus a few parts of her day. I don't know if I had mentioned before, but she had woken up from her nap crying and upset on her first day. Ella has mentioned being afraid of rest time and being by herself. In result, I did not even attempt to take her on Thursday! Our mornings are hectic to begin with and leaving with her unsure is not an option!

Since Thursday, I have talked to Ella about Preschool and I honestly don't think we are going to even push the idea of it for a while. She tries to get herself excited about it, but I can tell she really doesn't want to go. I can remember my first and only day of Preschool all too well!! I didn't want to go back either. Some people probably think it is crazy that I don't send her anyway to teach her to deal with the situation, but my thoughts are much different. First of all, I could never leave her somewhere crying or even with the thought that she would be upset during the day. If I were able to run and pick her up it would be much easier. However, that is not the case. If it were Kindergarten or something else that was required... well that would be a different story. But, Preschool isn't mandatory and I don't want her optimism about school to diminish! She is super excited about coming to school with mommy and I wouldn't want anything to put a damper on what she thinks school is supposed to be! The main reason for sending her to Preschool was for the social skills she would learn, but anxiety isn't something I want her to have to deal with at the age of 3. I guess she will just have to continue mingling and socializing at Children's Church and on playdates for now! :)


3 comments:

Mama Smors said...

I would do the same thing, Brooke! I don't blame you a bit. They are so little and we want them to LOVE learning rather than being afraid. (I had already said that if preschool wasn't a go for Ivy this year, I would wait it out and try again next year. So far so good- but it could change!) She is young and in a few months it could all turn around! Cheers to making decisions that work for your family and your sweet girl!

Amber said...

Good for you for not pushing it. I don't think you are crazy at all.

It seems "everyone" thinks Pre-School is a must, but I disagree. All children are different and forcing them to deal with unnecessary situations does not always guarantee they will get over it without some long term implications.

She will go when she is ready!! Way to go.

Lauren said...

I am sorry to hear about Ella's preschool trouble. I agree that it is not a big deal to let her wait until she is ready. We plan on sending Caleb next year. They are still so young and the stress on her and you is not worth it.