Sunday, September 4, 2011

Nice Little Surprise

While eating lunch with my students Friday, I received a text message from Kermie saying to hurry home after school so that we could pack. I was confused at first because we had not talked about going anywhere, but was most definitely not going to complain! A mini-vacation sounded terrific!
Kermie refused to tell any of us where we were going, but instructed us to pack for at least two days and not to forget a bathing suit. So, pack for two days is exactly what we did. Once we loaded up the van and got on our way, he let us in on the surprise.... we would be staying downtown Cincinnati for the weekend.
We arrived at our hotel around 5:30 or so, sat down our bags, and headed out on the town! It was a beautiful night other than it being miserably hot! I am so ready for fall!


After dinner, we walked around down by the fountain and then headed back for a little swimming! The kids really enjoyed getting to swim again since we haven't been in several weeks! Ella also met the sweetest little boy (6th grader) ever! They played for quite a while together.
After a terrific night of sleep, it was time to get going with our day! The kiddos enjoyed some play time in the bath!! Grayson cracks me up how he will climb over Ella and sit on her lap to sit by the faucet!

A late breakfast at IHOP was scrumptious! Pancakes, omelets, hashbrowns, my oh my! Our tummies were full!
After debating on what to do the rest of the afternoon, we decided to do a little shopping at the Kenwood Mall and then head to the Children's Museum. I really enjoyed getting to shop without any interruptions!! It has been forever.
One of the highlights of the day was getting in the museum for FREE! When I asked the attendant if they did a military discount he said yes and then gave us 4 tickets absolutely free! YIPPIE!








The kids had SO much fun! There wasn't a part of the museum that they didn't love. Kermie and I really enjoyed getting to watch them play.

What better to top off a fun day of play than icecream? It was delicious! :)

I guess we wore them out because this is what we saw about five minutes after getting in the van!
Kermie and I have wanted to go to Montgomery Inn for a long time, but just have never made it for some reason. Once the kids woke up, that is exactly where we headed. I honestly think my California Salmon could have been my most favorite dish ever!!!! The others enjoyed their food too... as you can see!



After dinner we headed back to the hotel and did a little more swimming. And, finally.... it was bedtime!
We woke up this morning and took our time getting ready and packing up. We had toyed with the idea of staying another night or even going somewhere else to stay, but Ella said she missed her blue home and was ready to go back! LOL
Lunch at Cheddar's was terrific and a quick stop at the Gap Outlet topped our mini-vacation off!


I love taking trips like this one: unexpected, no plans, rules or regulations! I am very thankful that Kermie decided to plan this one for us! It was perfect! :)

2 comments:

Donovan said...

I glad everyone had a good time. These are great memory makers that you will be able to hold on to for a lifetime.

Love you,
Jack

Nicole said...

What a great husband! Looks like you all had a great time!!