Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Help....!!!

Mother's Day Tantrum ! :) NICE!

So... let me take a few minutes to tell you about the past two nights at the Donovan household.

A little background info first.... Ella is becoming more and more independent.  By independent I mean bossy!  She constantly says "no" and "Ella do it".  It was cute at first, but now it is becoming a horrible habit for her.  Ella is the most sweet and loving child I know, but goodness gracious.... she's got a mean side too ( she gets it honestly - look at her parents )!  She has also been extremely whiney--- not about anything in particular.. just whiney!  I would say that in the past two weeks she has become part of what parents call the "terrible twos" only she is 19 months.  I am hoping this is a short lived stage!!!  Otherwise... HELP!  So on to our past two days!

As soon as we get home, we go for a walk.  This is definitely my favorite part of the day and Ella enjoys it so much.  When we got home today and yesterday she threw a FIT because mommy had to put her bags in the house before starting the walk!  She stood beside the car and cried "walk" until I finally pretended that I was going in without her.  Tonight, Kermie was too tired to walk so he stayed back and let me tell you she did not like that one bit.  I was actually pulling her in her wagon and the whole way up the hill she was crying for daddy (totally not enjoying the walk). Finally, when we get to the turning point she decides she is okay with daddy not walking and now wants to go to the playground.  So, she threw another fit on the way home because mommy was not up for the playground tonight (we go every night and it was a scorching 80 degrees). Concluion to this walk.....Mommy carried Ella in one arm and the wagon in the other.

Last night Kermie had bath duty.  Ella usually loves bath, but for some reason she just wasn't feeling it.  She decided she would cry the entire time.  She refused to stand up when Kermie was washing her and when I tried to intervene she screamed louder!  It took both Kermie and I to wash a 19 month old!

Tonight after dinner, we were sitting on the couch when Ella decides to take her already whiney behavior up a notch to a full throttle cry!  I do not know exactly what set her off... maybe she wanted paci or baba?.?  By the way, she is totally addicted to her bottle still.  I do not mind giving her one at night before bed because it is so comforting to her, but now she asks all day long!  She's is manipulating her mommy and daddy at such a young age!  So, baba was a definite no (she knows she gets one a day!), so we go find paci.  Well, mommy couldn't find blue paci so she has another melt down.  Keep in mind these melt downs are to the point of vomiting!  We finally find blue paci and then something else does not go her way so paci gets thrown.  Ella goes to time out.  She says sorry and picks up paci to give to her daddy.  Two minutes later... something else does not go her way... paci gets thrown... Ella goes to time out.  This child went to time out at least 6 times in a matter of two hours!  

I really hate to see her so upset, but I do not know what to do!  I hear it is just a stage they all have to go through, but I just do not understand.  Why would a small child want to cry for 2 hours straight?  Her eyes are sure to be swollen in the morning!  I think time out is working because she does end up saying she's sorry for whatever it was she did, but two days in a row of non-stop whiney, pouty, bossy behavior is just ridiculous!  I am praying she is over this in about two weeks--right when mommy gets full time Ella duty.  Nana, Granny, and Nanny--good luck and stay firm ! 

I love you Ella! :)

10 comments:

Jackie said...

I'm sorry Brooke. So far Ella is being good today:) Ava went through a tantrum stage too at that age. Just read my blog:) I hope it gets better soon!

Jackie said...

August was when I wrote about them a lot. Ava was 19 months:)

Nicole said...

I am so right there with you. The past couple of weeks Bailey has been so whiney and bossy! Anytime she gets mad she throws something, which leads to time out, which leads to more crying...it's so hard because you know that there's a sweet little girl somewhere in there, but it's hard to see her sometimes! We're hoping this is a short lived stage also. The only thing that seems to work with us is sticking by what we say all the time. I notice if we give in on one thing she seems to pick up on it and then tries to get away with more (they should not know these things so young!) Like last night she wanted more ketchup but we said no because all she was doing was sucking it off the french fries...she cried and threw a fit for about a minute, but when she realized we weren't giving up she quit and finished eating her meal. Ok, sorry for the long comment...hope it gets better for all of us soon!!

Gina (Nana) said...

Girls welcome to motherhood! This is the point when you say what have I've I done? It is just a stage. Little Miss. Brooke you were the worst of all three kids. You were very stong willed and so is she. Just remember this is a very minor stage. Just wait until they are about 13-18. Hang in there,it's all so worth every stage they go through!! :)

Love you
Mom

Phyllis said...

JUST REMEMBER BABIES COME INTO THE WORLD CRYING AND WANTING TO SUCK. THE FIRST FEW YEARS THEY THINK THE WORLD REVOLVES AROUND THEM AND IF YOU STOP AND THINK, WE HAVE MADE THEM FEEL LIKE IT DOES. AT FIRST WE GIVE THEM ANYTHING THEY WANT AND EVERYTHING THEY DO IS SO CUTE, EVEN IF IT IS BAD. NOW THEY ARE CONFUSED. IT SEEMS TO THEM WE HAVE CHANGED OUR MIND AND THEY DON'T LIKE IT, THEY STILL WANT THEIR WAY. SO WHAT DO WE DO? READ A BOOK BY JAMES DOBSON ON HOW TO RAISED OUR CHILDREN. HE IS A CHRISTIAN AUTHOR AND WILL GIVE US LOTS OF GOOD CHRISTIAN ADVICE.

LOVE NANNY BRAMEL

Ashley said...

My sweet little Ella! Brayden already throws tantrums sometimes! Crazy! I'll need your advice soon!

Mama Smors said...

Brooke~ If it is of any comfort we are going through the same thing. It made me feel better to read about Ella and know that we are all in this together. Ivy has been the same way. I actually cried on Wednesday bc I needed a break~ I have truly never felt like this. It has been hard too. I try to be consistent with time out, like it sounds like you are doing too! I try to love her and praise her when she is being our sweet Ivy. and I times I just have to put her in her bed, out of sight so that we can both calm down.
ps~ we go on a walk when i get home from work and EVERYDAY we have the meltdown bc i want to come inside put down my stuff and at times change clothes. we should probably call each other in the afternoon to give encouragement!
(sorry so long- but seriously, reading this post was therapy to me and now i am going to read it to greg.)

Donovan said...

It will get better. They all go through a stage of testing to see how far they can go. They need your correction because it makes them feel safe to know you are in charge. It may not seem that way but it is. Hang in there and you guys now see what Gina and I went through!!

Donovan said...

Brooke,

I am sorry for you and Jamie as well. I am going through the same thing with Carla. OK I'm kidding... it will get better and all three of you will be stronger because of it.

Love you,
Jack

Lauren said...

I have a feeling we will be experiencing this sometime in the near future. I know my niece is still going through the tantrums some. I definitely think talking about it and praying for motherly strength and patience is a great thing. I am interested to hear what works and what advice you have for the rest of us. Hang in there!