Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Rising Above Circumstances

Being that this is week one of the KCCT, I am finding myself yet again full of emotions (both negative and positive).

I guess my biggest "beef" with the whole testing process is the idea that some students just have it so much harder than others. We, as educators, are expected to hold all students to the same expectations (which I agree with), but in all honesty, how can you expect a student who was taken from his mother, has never seen his father, doesn't get enough sleep or food to eat, and struggles to fit in at school to perform at the same level of the student who lives in a "normal" household?

This raises another question: what is normal? Growing up, I always thought that I came from a normal family with normal goals and aspirations. However, this belief appears to be quite jaded the older I get and longer I teach. I am realizing that I have always been "abnormal" in the sense that I was "normal." There are more students in my classes that come from broken homes than those that live with both parents. There are more students in my classes that have seen things I have only heard about in movies. There are more students in my classes that know and understand more about struggling to make ends met than their own parents because they are the ones responsible for making dinner at night. I have actually had students tell me when responding to my questions about why they do or believe certain things, "My family is crazy. That is just how we are." There are days that I wonder how I can even contend with all the baggage they bring to my classroom door.

It is so hard to feel pity for these students and to lower expectations when you know how hard they have it outside of the classroom, but I also know that my job is to teach them to rise above their circumstances. God didn't make us all alike and He hasn't allowed us to all travel the same path, but He did give us each unique characteristics that make us exceptional in some way and the freewill to exhibit those qualities. So while a student may come to school in tears because dad was taken to jail that every morning, it is my responsibility to show him or her that there is a positive way to look at the situation: Everyone is given a choice and it is up to us to make the right one. Her daddy may not have made the right one, but that doesn't mean she can't.

I am always so proud of my students this time of year because I know how hard they have worked and how far they have come (whether it is to proficiency or not). Deep down I know they all have it in them to be "distinguished" students, it's just getting them to see it for themselves and rise above their circumstances.


Nothing splendid has ever been achieved except by those who dared believe that something inside them was superior to circumstance. ~ Bruce Barton

3 comments:

Bustin' Out All Over said...

You are an exceptional educator and a gift to your students. NEVER give up the desire to make them want to achieve, to believe, to grow. I'm honored two of my daughters experienced a portion of their education at your hand. Thank you.

Donovan said...

Brooke you are wise beyond your years. Your students have learned much this year and have felt not only your love of teaching but your love for them as well.

I am so proud you are a part of my family and I love you dearly.

Jack

Mama Smors said...

Your kids are lucky to have you! I will be thinking about all the big kid teachers I know as testing begins. I can't imagine the stress it puts on teachers and students alike. Your kids are so blessed that you help them to see the positive and let them know you believe they can be different than their parents!