Friday, July 2, 2010

Good-bye Paci







One of my summer goals was to attempt the good-bye paci mission. I waited until the big girl bed mission was complete and finally it has come time to say good-bye to one of her very "best friends".

Ella and I have had MANY long talks about the paci and how she is going to be a big sister and that big sisters don't have pacis. She has only had it during naptime and bedtime for a while now, but her attachment has only strengthened. She has developed a weird habit with her paci and chocolate milk at naptime and bedtime (she takes a drink of the milk, puts paci in before swallowing, and ends up with chocolate milk all over her mouth! You have to see it to understand it!). And, she will be the first to tell you that she LOVES her paci and will willing share them with Grayson when he comes.

So, yesterday I decided was the day. She woke up and did her usual. Chocolate milk and paci in bed while watching a few cartoons. We got dressed, put paci in the basket and had a fun time with Ashley, Brayden, and Keaton. Around "naptime," (in brackets because she did not nap, only rested) she went to find her paci in the basket and realized that it was broken along with all of the others. She was very confused! I had cut each of the tips off (and secretly kept two), but she just assumed her own story. She found a fly setting on the bed and assumed that the fly had gotten into the basket and eaten the tips off her pacis! At first she was very concerned and reassured herself and me that we could just go buy new ones. However, I told her that this was perfect timing because she didn't need them anymore anyways. I told her she was more than welcome to try them out to see if they still work. She did and shook her head no. I told her she was more than welcome to carry them around with her if she wanted. She did and ended up putting them down saying that she didn't need them anymore.

I expected to have a major melt down, but there was never one. She was a little whiny at first, but quickly realized she could handle it (keeping in mind it's only been a little over 24 hours now---haha!).
Last night at bedtime, I put her in bed with her chocolate milk and Abby in Wonderland. As we were sitting there watching the show, she kept going "yum, yum, yum". I looked at her and she was smiling very big! She said, "Guess what I did mommy? " I replied wearily, "What did you do Ella?" "I drank my chocky without my paci!!" she said giggling! She was so proud of herself and I was too!

Long story short... she slept all night without paci and still hasn't had it! It's very bittersweet for me as I've watched her and paci become wonderful friends over the past 2.5 years! She loves her paci and is SO comforted by it. It's the one thing that still made her a "baby" in my eyes and now it's gone! She is offically my big girl and is going to be a terrific BIG sister! :)

5 comments:

Lauren said...

What a clever idea to "break" the pacis. We will have to deal with stopping the thumb sucking at some point, but you can't "break" the thumb!
It really won't be long now until our babies are big siblings. :) Makes me sad and happy.

Jackie said...

It's working so far for us too! Hope it lasts! I think it helps that Ava knows Ella is doing it at the same time!

Nicole said...

Good for Ella! Very clever trick :)

Brooke said...

It is sad Lauren, but happy too of course! I hope everything goes well with your last few weeks!!

Jackie, Ella likes knowing that she helped Ava say bye to her paci.:)

Mama Smors said...

YAY, Ella!!! It is so hard and I am thankful (for everyone) that she has done so awesome. When Ivy "gave" hers to the elf shelf but then was SOOOOO sad it took everything that was in me not to cave in. When they lose what makes them a baby it is hard for the mommy!! Hope it continues to go well. Ivy had a hard time for about 4 nights and then it was a thing of the past!