Monday, October 4, 2010

Reflection

Lately, I've been doing a lot of reflecting. Reflecting on life, love, and everything in between. The past year or so has been one unlike any other. It has been a year of joys, of trials, of accomplishments, of pain, of self and spiritual revelation, and most importantly of thankfulness.


A few of the joys: The birth of Grayson. All of the precious moments with Ella (especially when she says "I Love You" out of nowhere). A 7 year anniversary. A four month "vacation" from school. Time with best friends and the birth of their babies. Returning to Grace and being able to go to church with my family. Answered prayers for family members going through hard times. The engagement of my brother and Jess. A job that I love. A relationship with my sister-in-law that I cherish. A new love for Coke and continued love for Frappucinos! A mini-vacation with Kermie and Ella. Ella's prayers every night. The "light bulb" turning on for many students.


A few of the trials: Finishing school while working and being pregnant. Dealing with major tantrums from a toddler. Being married to someone who is completely opposite of myself in many ways (but opposites attract as Paula puts it). Listening to and watching the struggles of family members. Trying to overcome my tendancy to stress and worry about monotonous things like money and schedules. My husband's sleepless nights and anxiety. Making sure that each students' needs were met before leaving my classroom. Car trouble for a few months. Prolonged, unhealthy relationship in my immediate family. A team that doesn't always see eye to eye or get along.


A few of the accomplishments: Finishing graduate school and getting a raise! Completing 7 years of marriage. Outstanding test scores even though I disagree with it whole-heartedly. Ella being potty trained (until our recent accidents), giving up her paci, and sleeping in her big girl bed. Kermie finishing his time in the military! Finishing up a ton of home improvements (thank you Kermie!).


A few of the bouts of pain: Seeing my sister make and live with bad decisions. Seeing my parents watch a child hurt. Watching my husband go through one of the hardest times in his life. Being scared for the health of both my Grandpa and Grandbubby. Listening to the various struggles of family members who were and may still be desperate for a divine miracle. Watching children day by day come to school and struggle because of the conditions of their homelives.


A few incidents of revelation: Understanding that the things I worry about are meaningless. God has and always will be here to support, love, and work miracles. Kermie and I discovered (or keep rediscovering) that we are blessed beyond measure and are due for a major downsizing in all areas of life. We are working together to get rid of things we don't need in order to reach out and give to others.


A few things to be thankful for: A godly husband who served me breakfast in bed and cleaned the kitchen last weekend! A house. A job. Maternity leave. Health care. A mode of transportation. Two healthy children. A supportive family. The Bible. Salvation. This list could go on for days! Thank you God!

7 comments:

Jackie said...

I love this post Brooke. I cherish our relationship too:)

Krystal said...

This post brought tears to my eyes! The good kind!

Gina (Nana) said...

Brooke
You are such a wonderful daughter. I am so so proud of you! I love you. You have so much to give to so many people and touch so many lives.27 years ago was such a scary time for me but the BEST thing that ever happened to me YOU.. God blessed me with you. I love You :)

Mom

Amber said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful post. It is always a blessing to join hearts with a sister in Christ as we share our struggles and successes. It reminds me we are human.

I am glad life is a journey and not a destination!!

Donovan said...

Brooke,

You are a blessing from God! Thank you for your humble and loving heart. Thank you for my grand babies and for being a wonderful mother to them. Thank you for being such a great wife to my son. Thank you for all you do!

I love you!
Jack

Nicole said...

I think we all need to reflect on our struggles and successes sometimes. I hope everything with your family continues to get better!

Ashley said...

I loved this post. I admire your honesty. I have enjoyed all of us having our babies together, and look forward to the years that follow.