Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Ella's Reflux

Well, last night was definitely my most frightful night as a mommy. At around 9:30pm, two hours after Ella's last feeding, she started her choking and gagging again. However, this time it took her like 10 seconds to catch her breath. Her daddy did such a good job of staying calm and helping her through it. He was very nurturing and such a perfect father. She threw up pretty much all of her last bottle and finally stopped. I held her upright for a while after, but as soon as I put her back down in her sleep positioner, she started choking again. Her poor little face turned red and she couldn't catch her breath again. This continued for a while, but the doctor said there is not much that can be done except to keep her upright and try feeding her Pedialyte for her next feeding. So, mommy ran to Wal-mart to get the Pedialyte, but Ella did not want it! So, instead we went back to breast milk and she was able to drink 2 ounces. I was very thankful that Ella drank something so that she would not be dehydrated. After eating, Ella only had small episodes of gagging and was able to sleep and relax. Mommy and daddy took turns staying up with her all night to make sure she was not choking. It is most definitely not a fun thing watching your sweet baby struggling helpless like we did last night. I pray that her reflux never gets that bad again and that God will make me a stronger mommy that does not panic so much. I have never in my life been so scared and concerned for someone, but I guess that comes with being a mother. I am very thankful that she seems to be herself again this morning and was able to eat more breast milk. I am going to try and feed her more often and less at each feeding to prevent her from overeating/getting a tummy ache. We will also keep taking the Zantac and see how things go. I know lots of babies have reflux and it is quite common, but I would love for everyone to pray that God heals her of this problem so she does not have to suffer from it anymore.

6 comments:

Donovan said...

Ella,

I am so sorry you are suffering. I will pray that God will heal you; God loves you so much and wants to take away your discomfort.

Brooke and Jamie,

My hearts aches for you and Ella. As tears well up in my eyes I remember times when I hurt for my little ones. Now as a grandparent the hurt is there for little Ella. If you need anything or if I can help just let me know.

I love you!
Grandpa

Jackie said...

Ella,
I will pray for you that you get better!

Brooke and Jamie,
You guys did great with her last night and did everything you needed to do. Reflux can be scary especially when it is your baby. Let me know if you need anything and you can always call me again!

Gina (Nana) said...

Ella,Nana felt so bad for you last night. I prayed for you to feel better most of the night. You have a strong mommy and daddy and God will give them the wisdom, patience and peace through this.We all love you . Nana

Donovan said...

Ella,

I prayed for you through out the night that you would be ok. It hurts to know that you are having problems with reflux. I know your mommy and daddy will do all they can to help you. I love you so much.

Granny

Phyllis said...

Ella,
Nanny loves you and can't wait for Thursdays to come so I can spoil and rock you!

Ashley said...

I am so glad everything is ok! That would be so scary! You all are great parents! It's great how God gives us husbands to stay calm. :)