Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Four Weeks to Go and Many Contemplations...

Well, I'd have to say that this summer has been absolutely wonderful! This is the first summer in probably five years that I have not worked and it is wonderful. I've always been the type of person to stay busy, so it has been a big change having lots of time to play, take naps, etc! I am so grateful for the time I have had with Ella and all the memories we have made! We've grown even closer than before and I can only hope we stay this close as she continues to grow. I always wanted for me and my children to have a relationship like my mom and I have. It is so exciting to watch that relationship develop.

As the weeks go by and I am now starting to get prepared for this next school year, I am more excited than ever. There are only four more weeks until the start of school--I just can't believe how fast time goes by! When I first had Ella, I thought staying at home would be ideal, but as I have prayed and thought about the situation I am reminded that I am "called" to teach. I honestly feel it is a gift God has given me and that I must use. I love my students (dreadful or not) and I love watching them learn. I feel so blessed to have a profession that allows me to interact with others, see growth in others and myself, and maintain a balanced family life at home. I would not have it any other way. While Ella would probably love for me to stay home and play all day, I think she will grow to admire the fact that I help other children as well. Most of them need the interaction more than she does. I know Ella is well taken care of by all those who watch her and she is loved by them too.

Basically, this is summer has been a wake up call for me and I am thankful God has allowed this to happen!

"Teachers who inspire know that teaching is like cultivating a garden, and those who would have nothing to do with thorns must never attempt to gather flowers."

"If you promise not to believe everything your child says happens at school, I'll promise not to believe everything he says happens at home."

8 comments:

Donovan said...

Brooke,

You are a great mom and a wonderful teacher. Ella is blessed to have you and Jamie as parents. You must always follow your heart (the Lord). Everyone's situation is different. Don't question your calling. Just enjoy the moments you have with your family as well as your students. You are making a difference.

I love you,
Jack

Donovan said...

Brooke,

We need caring christian teachers in our school system. Some children never hear a kind word or any praise at home. It can mean a lot to a child just to hear good job or a thank you from their teacher.

Ella is very lucky to have family who love her and care for her. Some are not so lucky.

We love you guys,

Carla

Phyllis said...

Brooke,

I am blessed to have you for a granddaughter. I am so proud of you and your dedication foward your students. I know they will learn more than their ABC's from you. I know you can't talk about Jesus in school, but you will show them the fruits of the spirit. This will plant a seed and God will help it to grow. They will never forget their teacher, Mrs. Donovan.

I love you,
Nanny

Gina (Nana) said...

Brooke,
You are such a wonderful person. You are as pretty on the inside as you are on the out. You are truley called to be a teacher, you have such a big heart for your children. Ella will be proud of you one day when she realizes what you do and how well you do it. God has placed you right where you need to be. Don't ever feel bad about leaving Ella, it will make the two of you appreciate all the times that you have together!She loves her mommy very much!!!!!!!!

I love you!
Mom

Donovan said...

Brooke,

I like your classroom blog! Very nice!!

Jack

Brooke said...

Jack,
Thanks... We had to create one for my new graduate class. I think I might keep up with it this year. It's much better than our school webpages!

Jackie said...

Brooke,
You are a great teacher and you are very blessed to have so many family members that can watch Ella. It's great that you also have the summers and holidays off with Ella. There are times I miss working (in the NICU) but I know that I would not have anyone to watch Ava and I would be away from her on holidays. I knew I was called to take care of the babies in the NICU for a time, but I know and feel in my heart that I am supposed to stay home with Ava now. It is great when you realize where you are supposed to be at a certain time of life and I am glad you have found that.

I love your teacher blog and look forward to reading it to see what you are doing with the kids in your class. I hope you have a great school year!

Sejlab said...

Ella,

I love you soooo much, you are the sweetest little girl ever!
Brooke,
You are such a wonderful mom and an amazing teacher.
I just thank God every day for having you as a friend.